Wednesday, July 15, 2009

This is what we call a real update...

Molo! (That means hello in Africaans)

I had some free time so here is a little bit better update on things…

I still cannot believe I am here in South Africa!! It is so surreal! But I am loving every minute! Here’s what I did this past weekend....we went on a treetop canopy tour of the South African forest. Oh did I mention it was on a zip line!?! We were flying around in the trees for nearly an hour! It was so awesome! Then....I WENT BUNGY JUMPING!!!! AHHH!!! It was INSANE! It was the world's tallest bungy jump!! Almost SEVEN HUNDRED FEET of pure free fall!!! It was such an adrenaline rush! I still cannot believe I jumped off that bridge! After that we visited an elephant reserve and got to pet and feed the elephants! Those things are MASSIVE up close! And finally we took a sunset cruise on the Indian Ocean! It was so breath taking! African sunsets are about as good as Arizona ones :) The next day we went to a game reserve to see the animals. They took us on a 3 hour tour of their HUGE park! The tour guide said it was nearly 3,000 football fields! That's alot of mowing! Good thing they have animals to do that for them. We saw all the big game...elephants, lions, zebra, rhinos, antelope, impalas, water buffalo, and giraffes! It is really cool to see the animals in their natural habit and up close and personal! I am enjoying things so much. The people are amazing! I have never laughed so much in my life! Everything they say is just hilarious and know how to crack good jokes! They truly are happy...all the time! And love to smile! Plus the food is just TO DIE for! It is still really cold and rainy. We don't get to see the sun much which makes me miss the hot arizona sun (I never thought there would come a day when I would actually say that)!

The hospitals are so AMAZING! I am learning so much! For the most part, the care is just the same as the US except they don't have the new technology and machines as the US does. But that requires the nurses to rely on their clinical skills more...looking for signs and symptoms...which is really amazing to witness and a wonderful skill to possess. I worked a night shift at the MOU last night and I delivered a baby! AHHHH!!!! That was quite an experience I will never forget! Here they call it "catching babies" because they literally fly right out! So you have to be prepared and have quick hands to catch them! Also, they only keep the women for 6 hours after delivery! 6 HOURS!!! That's it! That was a little shocking to me! But the African women are so strong! Never during the whole birthing process do they receive any pain medication. No epidurals, no pain pills, nothing! They are so strong!! I am really impressed with how easy they make giving birth look! But at the same time I know they are in incredible pain, yet they never complain, moan or groan, or allow the pain to show on their face! They truly are amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment